Friday, May 11, 2012

Oregon Twilight Meet

(Start of the women's 3k steeple)
            This weekend I traveled down to Track Town USA to compete at the University of Oregon’s Twilight meet. This was the first track meet of the year where I did not have to go to the airport and fly to my destination. I could finally bring whatever liquids and number of bags I wanted! What freedom. Instead of getting on board a Boeing 737 I hopped aboard a Red Chrysler minivan with three other male pole vaulters and two pole bags strapped to the roof and made the journey down to Eugene, OR.                 
            Traveling with three male vaulters makes for a fun and very interesting trip. Their taste in music was excellent and the conversations very humorous. I listened quietly as they discussed ways to pick up other girl vaulters. Apparently if you forget to bring straps to fasten your pole bags to your vehicle, seat belts or pieces of clothing work just fine.  Pants work pretty well so if you have a pretty girl riding with you, you can conveniently forget your straps and then you both must take off your pants so the poles can stay on the car. Or you can go one step further and tell the female that bras are the sturdiest material for doing this.
                The ride down was uneventful and I was able to get a nice nap in since the van provided plenty of leg room. Traffic was terrible especially near Portland but traveling with friends makes it go by faster and not matter as much especially since I did not have to drive. Ryan did the bulk of the driving which was awesome. I did discover a couple of interesting facts on this trip, guys like to have dance parties in mini vans, if you are Italian you can easily roll your “r’s,” the only thing slowing food to the stomach is the esophagus, pushing down the driver’s knee is an effective way to go faster, Goodwill is where you go for great deals on used underwear and The Avengers is a bad ass movie.  Had I traveled by air or alone I would have missed out on all this new found knowledge.
(Traffic...)
                We arrived at our cheap hotel Friday evening and headed out to Red Robin for some burgers, endless fries, and bottomless root beer floats. Without even trying, this is becoming a pre-meet routine of ours. Levi loves Red Robin and being Red Robin “Royalty” we must continue to make an appearance lest a fry go to waste.
(While we waited for our table the guys tried their skills with the claw.)
      After dinner Scott treated us to a night at the movies and we headed out to watch The Avengers. It was a good thing we bought tickets before dinner or it would have been sold out. We arrived early so we could all sit together and strategize our plan of action for doing so. Once in the theater you don’t mess around looking for the perfect seat, go to the top and grab the first four you see. This plan worked out perfectly. The movie was very entertaining and I would definitely watch it again. Afterwards the guys were pumped and ready to grab and throw cars across the interstate. Back at the hotel I was able to fall right asleep but I don’t know if the guys were that lucky with visions of Hulk and Thor raging in their heads.
(Coming out of the water jump)
(Levi vaulting at the Oregon Twilight)



MEET DAY
                The morning of the meet I went out for an easy two mile shake out and found myself being cheered on by a group of small children as I ran past. People were saying hello and were very friendly. It was a little chilly, in comparison to the California weather I have been racing in, but good for running at roughly 50 degrees. There was a bit of a wind and I was hoping it would die down for my race then pick back up for the vaulters.
                I ate lunch around 2:30pm but for some reason my food was not digesting very well and I found myself on my warm up at 5:00pm with a very heavy stomach. When it came time to race I felt alright but still had a full stomach. As the gun went off I got out to a decent start and tried to stay relaxed. I was able to see all of the hurdles as this race strung out pretty early. I knew this going in and wanted this to happen so I could practice my hurdle technique but with the head wind I was finding myself wishing for a pack to run in.
                I came through 1800m around 6:01 which is perfect except I wasn’t feeling that great. Mentally I was having trouble pushing into that next gear and physically my legs did not want to jump. I think all of the travel and racing the past three weeks had caught up to me. When I crossed the line the clock read 10:07. I was a little bummed at first then realized this tied the second fastest time I had ever run and last year it would have been a PR for me. I am moving in the right direction and for this to be my “not so hot race” is encouraging.
                I originally was not planning on racing the Twilight meet but decided it would be a good opportunity to get some practice in and see what I could do when I could see the hurdles. I tried to be confident and focused the week of the race but to be honest, I could tell my body was a bit tired and probably not in prime condition to go for another PR. But this race made me very hungry for the next and this is what happened leading up to my PR at Stanford. This week I added in some cross training on the spin bike to give my legs a break from the pounding but while increasing my aerobic volume. I had two solid workouts and feel ready for my race next Friday night. I will be racing at the USATF Oxy High Performance Track Meet against a stacked women’s field in the steeple. As FloTrack stated, this meet is going to be like a mini Olympic Trials and I couldn’t be more excited to have the opportunity to race.

Race Video courtesy of RunnerSpace:





6 comments:

  1. I hope you know how awesome you are! I love reading about your races. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is really nice of you. Thank you for your support, just hearing your kind words made a difference in my day! Hope your running journey is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, totally not on the same level as you, but I ran my first steeplechase ever on Saturday at a Masters T&F meet. Seriously, I've never done anything with hurdles before, so it was a bit shocking to jump over the first 36" hurdle. I'm hooked now though. Anyway, can you think back to when you first started and offer any advice on either training or racing for it? I know it's a vague question, but I'm just looking for vague answers now...

    Great job on the race, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your first steeple! I did my first steeple my freshman year of college and believe me it wasn't "pretty." I think I ran almost 12 minutes. The biggest change for me has just been getting fitter and more aggressive on the hurdles. If you can keep yourself from stuttering into the hurdles too much you will save a lot of time and energy. My coach always tells me to attack the hurdles/water barrier that way if you do stutter you aren't losing any speed into the barrier. If you watch the leader in my race (Bridget Franek) she has a water jump where she stutters but she is speeding up into the barrier and thus does not lose any time out of the water. I still struggle with my push off the water jump and tend to tap instead of really push off and spring out with my back leg. You want to look to the end or just past the end of the water pit. If you look straight down that is where you will end up.

    As far as training goes I really do not do a lot of hurdle work. Our hurdle height is not as high as the men's and I can get away with a little less technique work here. I had an Achilles injury and the steeple can be hard on your body so I train like I would for a 5k and throw in more mile type workouts towards the end of the season. I didn't do any hurdle work early on due to my injury and I figure I would rather be fit enough to handle a pace and maybe have some ugly jumps than have perfect technique but not be in shape :) I also lift (squats, cleans, calf raises, pullups, etc.) and do sand jump practice where I set a steeple barrier in front of a long jump pit and practice running and pushing off the barrier. This is a little easier on your body than practicing the real water jump.

    Let me know if you have any other questions! I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's fantastic advice, thanks so much! I'm really happy to read you lift also, that's a renewed passion of mine and I'd like to keep it up while working on shorter running events.

    I was surprised how "not wet" I got, much to the dismay of my almost 4 year old. I guess I jumped out farther than I feared I would have, but I did notice a sore achilles tendon the next day from the intensity of the landings (which I was NOT used to.)

    Best of luck the rest of the spring and summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! From the sounds of it, you must have been doing your water jumps right ;) When I get splashed in the face I know that's not good...lol.

      Delete