Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Beginning Workouts




(Cruising the lake with Mom)
(Standing.)
Lilyana is now a crawling pro and has figured out how to pull up to standing. She will grab onto anything to stand even if it moves, like a rocking chair. I have to constantly be on my toes with her! It is still hit or miss on learning to fall straight to her butt. She has definitely given me mini heart attacks when she pulls herself up to standing, finds something to distract her, let’s go of the object she was holding onto (seeming to forget she cannot stand without assistance) then comes crashing to the floor. I have to keep my reaction in control otherwise she will think she will start crying when she is perfectly fine.

She has started eating solids now and I have been making my own baby food. Right now it is very manageable as I can only introduce a new food every 4-7 days. She started off with oatmeal, bananas, avocado, and sweet potato. Next up I will give her carrots then some other fruits. I use my NutriBullet Blender and it works awesome for making homemade baby food
(Homemade baby food)
and is very easy to clean. I use small mason jars to store it. It’s interesting how picky I am about the quality of foods I feed her because I know how important it is, yet with me, oftentimes I neglect this aspect. I eat generally healthy but if I adopted the mindset of feeding a baby I would be a health nut! Everything in moderation though. I do not want to give up my nightly bowl of ice cream or the convenience of protein bars.
(Oatmeal everywhere!)
My training has been going pretty well. I have to take things a bit slower than I would like with my knee still healing and needing strengthening but that probably is not a bad thing for my long term health. It does make things a bit trickier for trying to get ready to race this outdoor season which will be starting up in a couple weeks. I know I shouldn’t try to force myself to race this outdoors if my knee is not ready but I feel an obligation to my sponsors who believe in me and have chosen to sponsor me for the 2014 season after having taken 2013 off due to pregnancy.
I have started doing workouts and I am eager to do them. The longest workout I have done is a 3 mile LT (lactate threshold) run and I was pleasantly surprised to run it in 18:50 (6:22, 6:21, and 6:06). I felt really smooth during it and it gave me confidence for the upcoming season. However, on the way home from my run I stopped at an intersection and upon starting again once the streets were clear to cross, I had a stabbing ache pain in my knee. It was strange. It almost felt like a growing pain of sorts. I limped home confused. The next day my knee was feeling achy and I took the day off. I was scheduled for a long run of 10 miles Sunday but knew I would have to play it by feel. I had done a very hilly run on Thursday with Lily in the stroller and wondered if that might have been too much up and down on my knee. I was sore the next day from it and vowed never to do that run again with the stroller.
Sunday morning things felt ok so I started out for my run. I jogged really slowly the first mile and my knee was aching slightly. I stopped and stretched and decided to try to run a little more. After another half mile things felt fine and I ran effortlessly for ten miles. Yet again though, on my way home, when I stopped at an intersection my knee began to ache again upon starting. I decided to send an email to my Doctor to see if any of this seemed unusual. Monday I took things easy. I was going to take Tuesday off when I received a message back from my Doctor. He reassured me this was perfectly normal and that I may see some swelling after I introduce a new activity (like my hilly run and tempo run) into my routine. Until I get that leg stronger I will most likely feel these aches.
(Ready for the sun!)
The morning I read that I called my coach (John Ricardi) and told him what the Doctor said and that I wanted to try running instead of taking a day off. It was a beautiful sunny, warm day outside so I couldn’t pass it up. I decided to run what I was originally scheduled for the day before, 4 miles with 6x100m strides with an exercise after each stride (i.e. pushups, lunges, dips, jumping jacks, burpees, mountain climbers, and squats). It is amazing how much less my knee hurt when I knew that it was o.k. (or so I am hoping). The ache was still there but it didn’t feel as sharp. My strides went fine, though I didn’t run them that fast. I focused more on form so as to not aggravate my knee. At this point I can tell I will have to take things on a day to day basis with my knee. If it flares up I will need to cross train, no sense pushing through pain. I did that for nearly 3 years before I finally had the surgery and I am not doing that again! I want to enjoy my life and not be in constant pain. After my run I met a friend and we walked the lake with our babies. I want to keep my body healthy so I am able to enjoy moments like these and be able to play and keep up with Lilyana as she grows.
I could learn a thing or two from Lilyana. One week she couldn’t crawl, the next she was on her hands and knees, the next crawling and shortly after standing! If I am just patient and don’t try to take short cuts my body will become strong and will be ready to perform when I need it. Right now my left knee cannot handle steeple barriers but it will in time.


(A mobile baby making mischief)

2 comments:

  1. So exciting and great to be training again, right? I know you're looking forward to racing. I absolutely love your pics of Lilyana. She is so adorable. And I'm a to-be mom that looking into making my own baby food, too. Keep up the good work in your training! Run Happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far making my own baby food has not been difficult! It's nice knowing exactly what is in her food and being able to buy organic, plus it's affordable! I usually make a week's worth at a time except for her oatmeal. I make that for her each morning from milled up oatmeal (I guess I do that in advance in my blender) while I make my own. Her's only takes a couple minutes to make since it's such a small amount. I'm definitely learning as I go and all I can say is thank goodness for the internet! That's where I find most of my information on how to make baby food :)

    ReplyDelete