Friday, July 4, 2014

Quick Recap CNW All Comers Meet



                
                June 25th I decided to do another double and raced the mile and 800m at the Club Northwest All Comers Meet Wednesday night. The time between the mile and 800 was much shorter, somewhere around 15-20 minutes and surprisingly I felt way better on the 800m this time.
                They combined the men and women in both races so there were 30 of us toeing the line for the mile. I felt pretty tired and crummy on my warm up so wasn’t sure how the race would pan out. I was able to get an uninterrupted warm up in as I left the baby at home with Levi but I was feeling drained. I decided to try and go out conservative and came through my first lap around 1:15. I’m glad I decided to be “conservative” because if I hadn’t thought this I probably would have been sucked out into a much faster pace. About 800m in and I was boxed between 3 guys who were drastically slowing down. I think they were racing each other and none of them wanted to make a move. I slowed up, signaled and said moving out and went around them in almost lane 3 on the curve. Not an ideal move, but I knew if I waited I would lose my rhythm.
                I felt pretty strong the whole way. Coming down the homestretch I could see the clock. I kicked in thinking I might be able to squeeze under 5. This young boy, who probably came up to my shoulder (11-12 years old) came blowing by me. I tried to go with him this old body could not match his young, raw speed. I came in at 5:00.
                I left my spikes on and jogged a mile on the infield. Grabbed a new number, did a couple drills then toed the line for the 800m. Oh yeah in this time I literally went to the bathroom 4 times. Even before the mile I peed over 10 times. I didn’t think I was that hydrated! I was in the outside lane, 9 people in total, 8 men and me. They split up the heats and my time was just fast enough to put me in the men’s race. I figured I would be last judging by the times the guys were all saying they were going to try and hit, but I didn’t want to be so far back to get the pity clap. So I just tried to keep the men in front of me within 50 meters. I came through the first lap in 68 thinking it felt great. I figured if I ran a 70 I would be under 2:20. That was my first mistake. You do not try and “pace” an 800m. I came through the finish line in 2:21 thinking where did my time go? I wasn’t feeling bad. I just really have no clue how to run an 800m. I need to learn how to get into that uncomfortable grind and hold on.
                You would think having a baby would make you extremely tough and able to push through anything in a race but I haven’t found that to be the case. I am stronger in some ways but I have been away from racing for so long that it will take time for me to find this again. I do all my workouts alone so I am missing a bit of the mental tenacity one gets from running with people and pushing yourself harder because there are others pushing right back. I am really enjoying the process and having a blast at these low key type meets. They really are fun for the whole family and a perfect way to spend a summers evening. 

2 comments:

  1. Interesting thoughts about racing post-baby. I've always heard women are tougher afterwards, too. The 800 is a brutal race, anyway. A lot of people have trouble pacing that one, postpartum or not. Peed 10 times??? Hahahaha, sure you're not pregnant? (Kidding)

    I can't imagine doing a mile in 5 min; so big hats off to you. Keep up the good work. Hope your recent move went smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel it's a different kind of toughness. I mean I have less anxiety and pressure with racing so it tends to feel more effortless. But I also find myself having trouble staying focused completely in the race. I have talked to other new racing Moms and they have shared this same view with focusing, but obviously not everyone is the same. I think it is especially harder if you are racing and trying to care for the baby at the race. My advice, have Dad, family, or friends watch the baby so you can race. I also am not doing the same type of training I was before or the same routine so this could also be a factor. Birth was definitely the most intense pain I have ever felt, worse than racing a Marathon, but at the same time it was one of the most quickly forgotten pains because you get a beautiful baby to love right after.

    ReplyDelete