Friday, December 5, 2014

Regionals-A No Go



               
(Lilyana keeping me fueled with PowerBar during a treadmill run)
               
My cross country season came to a sooner end than I expected. After looking at my husband’s work schedule and trying to arrange care for our daughter Lilyana, we could see Club Nationals was out of the question. I decided I would still do all the races I could and have my last one be at the Regional Cross Country Championships in Seattle, WA. The original plan was for me to drive to the race with my daughter and once Levi got off shift he would drive to Seattle and meet us at the course and take over baby duty. Well, as we know, life with a baby can be unpredictable and plans can change.
                The race was scheduled for Sunday. Friday night Lilyana was burning up. She had a 102 temperature but other than that was acting just fine. I hoped her temperature would go down Saturday but it didn’t. By Saturday night it was the same. She was waking more at night, probably due to discomfort but again was acting fine. I had to make the decision on whether or not to drag a sick baby to a race outdoors. The weather wasn’t going to help either. It called for winds, rain, and cold temperatures. I talked to Levi and told him if her temperature didn’t break during the night then I wouldn’t race. Sunday it was still 100-101 degrees so I told Levi not to meet me in Seattle. Looks like me cross season was short and sweet. One race and done.
                By Monday Lilyana was fine and a part of me feels she would have been OK at the meet since she was acting normal otherwise but the mother side of me didn’t want to risk it so I have no regrets. It is funny how things like that can change. I have become so much more flexible with my training and racing which can be both a good thing and a bad thing. I am still working on finding that correct balance between training and motherhood. Each day brings new changes as Lilyana grows. Some things get easier some get busier. So it is a balance I am sure to work on my entire life. 

(My silly girl)


No comments:

Post a Comment