Sunday, March 26, 2017

Praise His Name in Dance

  “Let them praise His name in dance; strike up the band and make great music.” Psalm 149:3.

                I look forward to Sunday’s and going to church but with kids there are seasons (winter typically) where I feel like we barely can make it to church due to the constant runny noses, colds, and illnesses. On these days, I'm thankful to be able to listen to the sermons online. I joked to my husband that we had gone a few weeks without a sick kid so that meant we were overdue! Upon waking this morning, I went to help my oldest in the bathroom. She sounded a little congested. But she typically does in the morning. I had her blow her nose and nothing came out. She followed me into my room and I told Levi she sounded a little congested and said I didn’t know if we’d be able to take her to church. I didn’t want to risk her being at the start of a cold and getting other kids sick. I said we could go in shifts. One of us could go to the early service and one the later. Lily piped up and in a very sick (but obviously faking it voice) said, “I’m sick. I can’t go to church today.” Levi replied, “Maybe we could take her into church with us.” She immediately jumped for joy, “Yes! Yes! Yes! I want to go to the adult church with you!” She wasn’t sick but we decided to let her come with us for the morning worship.
                We told her she could stand and move around during the songs but when the pastor came to talk she had to be very quiet. As everyone stood and sang Lily got up and started dancing. We were sitting in the front row so she had quite the audience. But she wasn’t dancing for anyone. She told me later she was dancing for joy. She felt joy in her heart and she danced. The song was called, “Did You Feel the Mountains Tremble,” and one of the lyrics says, “Open up the doors and let the music play,
Let the streets resound with singing, Songs that bring your hope, Songs that bring your joy, Dancers who dance upon injustice.”
                Lily was holding nothing back. She was dancing her little heart out and I was moved to tears of joy watching her. In that moment, I felt the Spirit working through that little girl and bringing joy to others. As I looked around the room and on stage I saw smiles, wet eyes, and overall happiness as they watched her dancing for hope, for joy, for the Lord. Seeing an innocent child with a fresh heart feeling the world and letting her emotions go was inspiring.
                Another verse goes, “And we can see that God you're moving, A mighty river through the nations, When young and old return to Jesus, Fling wide your heavenly gates, Prepare the way of the risen Lord.” God was definitely moving, in that moment, in that room, through a little girl’s dance.
                After the song, the worship leader asked me what her name was. I told him and he said, “Lily, you are a beautiful dancer. Never stop dancing.”
                I pray that no matter what this world has in store, and I know there will be pain, heartache, and suffering, we can turn to Him and never stop dancing. 


"Did You Feel The Mountains Tremble?"
Hillsong United

Did you feel the mountains tremble?
Did you hear the oceans roar?
When the people rose to sing of
Jesus Christ the risen one

Did you feel the people tremble?
Did you hear the singers roar?
When the lost began to sing of
Jesus Christ the saving one

And we can see that God you're moving
A mighty river through the nations
When young and old return to Jesus
Fling wide your heavenly gates
Prepare the way of the risen Lord

Open up the doors and let the music play
Let the streets resound with singing
Songs that bring your hope
Songs that bring your joy
Dancers who dance upon injustice

Did you feel the darkness tremble
When all the saints join in one song
And all the streams flow as one river
To wash away our brokenness

And we can see that God you're moving
A time of Jubilee is coming
When young and old will turn to Jesus
Fling wide your heavenly gates
Prepare the way of the risen Lord

      
                If you are looking for a church in the Kent/Covington, WA area I encourage you to check out Faith Church. In April they are adding an evening service as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment