Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Another Solid Weekend

           Has it been two weeks already since my last race recap? This indoor season has been flying by which means the outdoor track season will be here before I know it and soon enough the Olympic Trials.
           But first, let me recap my last indoor track meet before Nationals. I competed at the University of Washington Husky Classic and came away with two very solid performances and again,  learning experiences. I raced the 5k Friday night and my goal was to run a PR. I hadn’t raced an indoor 5k in 3 years so my odds were very good so instead I made it my goal to beat my outdoor 5k PR of 16:39.
         Going into the race I felt good. My warm up went great and I was ready to race. There were a lot of women in the race and when the gun went off I found myself pushed to the back. After the race I was given the advice to “not be so nice.” I am not talking throwing elbows or running dirty but merely holding my ground and letting my competitors know where I am. That may be keeping a strong arm so as to stop them from cutting in too early.
          As the race wore on I used a lot of energy early on stuck in lane 3 and doing a lot of weaving. When I finally was able to settle in and the pack strung out I noticed I felt more tired than I should due to not being relaxed at the start. I managed to run a PR in 16:27 but definitely feel with a little better racing tactics this can be improved.
           The next morning I was set to run the mile. I went to do my warm up and it felt ugly. My body was tired and my mind was not feeling energized to race. I wasn’t sore just fatigued. I figured I had nothing to lose and was excited to race.
          When the gun went off I got in good position on the rail near the back. I didn’t mind being in the back because my goal today was to learn how to race and relax in a pack atmosphere. Which is exactly what I did. With two laps to go (just over 600m) I felt good. Surprisingly good and I made a big move. Right to the front I went feeling unstoppable! I kept thinking during the race, “Man I feel good!” Then with about 200m to go I realized I had made my move 200m to soon.
         I kicked as best as I could but realized the 5k had taken some of that out of me. I watched as a handful of girls passed me and was surprised to pass a couple of them back on the homestretch. I crossed the line in 4:48. I was very happy with the time and again learned some valuable information during the race.
          When I took the lead I was feeling so good and surprised that I was feeling so good that I got a little overzealous.  Looking back I still could have made the move but should have conserved some of that energy for the end. In the Flotrack video you can hear the commentators say something along the lines of me taking command of the race…oops. I wasn’t going to run away from this field and shouldn’t have let my excitement get the better of me. 
          All in all it was a successful weekend and I feel racing above and below my distance for USATF Indoor Nationals will better prepare me for the upcoming race. If anything I was at least able to take away some valuable race strategies from the weekend. 

My 5k Race courtesy Flotrack

Watch more videos on Flotrack

My Mile Race courtesy Flotrack

Watch more videos on Flotrack

No comments:

Post a Comment