Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A Pr is a PR right?

            This past weekend despite having a slight cold I decided to race the mile at UW and I managed to squeak out a one second PR. I didn’t feel as sharp as I did in my 3k a couple weeks prior but all in all it was a good race.
            My goal was to just practice race strategy so I can learn how to get myself into good position which will help me later on at the big meets. I was hip number 14 and knew I would either be on the second row or way on the outside by the wall. A few women scratched from the race so I was on the front line by the wall.
            My strategy was to get good position from the gun. When it went off I took off, nothing crazy, but faster than I usually go. Being on the outside was actually nice because I was able to make a straight line to the first curve with all the girls on my inside and not have to worry about getting cut off from the outside. 100 meters in and I was in 4th, on the rail, in great position. It caught by surprise and my first thought was, “Whoa, how did I end up here?” I usually end up in the back having to fight my way up through a field after a sub-par start. But here I found myself behind three very talented runners and they took it from the gun and broke away from the field. I wasn’t concerned about them but was shooting for a good time and more or less out there to see what kind of speed my legs had.
            I could feel a racer right on my shoulder the whole race. I kept waiting for her to pass but she didn’t so I lead on. What I didn’t realize was I was leading a pack of 7 fast and eager competitors sitting on me and waiting to kick. With about 400m to go the girl on my shoulder finally made her move. When she passed I told myself to go with her. What caught me off guard were the 6 other girls who came with her. For a moment I was boxed in on the corner and couldn’t break free. The bell lap came and I tried to kick but it was not quite the kick I had in my 3k. I finished in 9th place with a one second PR which I was happy about, but definitely not satisfied. We runners never are.
            Looking back at my paces I may have went out slightly fast, but nothing crazy. I came through in 69, then 73, and two 72’s (roughly). My original goal was to be low 4:40’s but after a week of battling illness I changed that to be 4:45-4:47. I ran 4:47 so I met my goal.
            Racing the mile takes practice. I am used to longer races where there is more time to “race” and execute a plan. The mile to me goes by too fast and if you lapse mentally or let up for a split second you may find yourself getting passed in the last 400 meters. But that is the reason I race distances that I am not as familiar with. The shorter race will help my speed and race tactics. Next weekend I plan to race a 5k. A completely different ball game with race strategy but I am looking forward to it.
            My goal is to go 3/3 for PR’s this indoor season. So far I have PR-ed in the 3000m and the mile. All that’s left now is the 5k.

Watch more videos on Flotrack

1 comment:

  1. Yes you did get great position, it was just too bad no one was willing to do a little work. That is how it goes though in a race. Low 4:40's is there and within reach!

    ReplyDelete