Friday, November 18, 2022

September 2022 Journal Reflection

September 3, 2022

The world you grew up in no longer exists today.

I don’t think I’m THAT old but I grew up with a land line and now have a cell phone, I was alive when super slow dial up internet came out and now have lightning fast, hold in the palm of your hand, internet devices.

Even though none of these things were around during Biblical times God knew the importance of disconnecting from these things and connecting with Him.

“Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!” (Psalm 46:10)

There have been times in my life when I am burning the candle at both ends and as a result, feel overwhelmed, irritable, and disgruntled. I’ve taken naps only to wake up not feeling refreshed. This seems impossible, how could I take a long nap and not be refreshed?

Because there is a difference between physical and mental rest, or resting your body verse resting your spirit.

Now this isn’t advice telling you not to nap, by all means nap! Give your body rest, sleep absolutely helps, but we also need to quiet and rest our minds. We need to be still in God’s presence.

I can’t tell you how many times I have laid down in exhaustion and napped during the day, thinking this was my answer to the unrest I was feeling, only to wake two hours later still not feeling refreshed. I still felt “burdened.” My yoke was heavy because I wasn’t utilizing my life giving source.

“Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:29-30)

There have been other times where I have been physically exhausted and instead of sleeping, opened up my Bible and meditated on the Word, or went out for a run or hike, stopping along the way to drop to my knees in prayer. Sometimes tears were shed, other times I simple sat in the stillness as I meditated on God’s Word and have come back feeling rejuvenated.

It’s not about physical rest. It’s about refreshing our minds and hearts. The only way to truly be refreshed comes by stilling ourselves and focusing on God, letting His Word fill us up.

We have so many things vying for our attention that it can be hard to carve out time to sit, undisturbed, with God. But there have been distractions since the beginning of time. We may not have to labor as much just for our food and water but there are plenty of obligations pulling us in a direction that can easily lead us from God.

The enemy uses all of these things to keep us from connecting with God. When we are in line with the Spirit and in tune with His voice we are strong and can withstand temptations.

When Jesus was in the desert, Satan tried to distort His mind from what He knew to be true to what Satan was telling Him was true. Satan was relentless. And how did Jesus respond? By referring back to God’s Word. He fought the enemy by remaining firm in the Word and God’s truth.

We can do the same. If you believe in Christ, know He died and rose again for your sins, and have accepted Him as your Savior, then you have the power of Christ in you and have all the strength you need to defeat the Evil one.

“There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.” (Romans 8:1)

Soldiers don’t go into battle without being prepared. Each day there is a spiritual battle going on and you must be on guard. Take the time to be still. Put on the full armor of God and be ready for the Evil One’s attacks.

“Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm.” (Ephesians 6:10-13)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment